Mounting the cartridge to the tonearm and Wiring phono cartridges can be a bit of a hassle, but with a little preparation and the right way, it can be done easily. In this blog, Team Jejupro.com takes you through the steps about how to mount phono cartridge involved in installing a phono cartridge and wiring it up correctly.
Best Pick: Best Phono Cartridge Under $500
The Process Of Screwing A Phono Cartridge On An Arm
Phonograph cartridge wiring is the connection (Send signals) between the phonograph cartridge and the built-in preamp. If you have To avoid damage to your audio equipment, follow the proper wiring procedure when installing a new phonograph cartridge. So if your question is about how does phono cartridge wiring work? To ensure proper compatibility and long-term operation of your phonograph, a few steps must be taken when installing and wiring a phono cartridge to your turntable. The Installing process is outlined below.
- About 80 percent of cartridge comes with 0.5 inches (1.27 cm) spacing which you can find between cartridge mont holes.
- Use screws and nuts to mount your phono cartridge on the arm, and you just have to the screws through the slot in the headshell.
- The next step is to wire a phono cartridge below.
The Process Of Wiring A Phono Cartridge (Fit Four Colored Wires)
- First, remove the stylus guard by sliding it on and off simply on the cartridge (If the cartridge is covered with it)
- Now after screwing a cartridge on the arm, it’s time to wire the four colored wires to your turntable phono cartridge pins.
- Both phono cartridge pins and wires were equally same color-coded
- Just match the color code of the wires and attach them together.
Color Code For Phono Cartridge Wiring
We can help! Don’t worry! We’ll show you how to check the color code of your phono cartridge while wiring it.
- Red Pin > Right channel pos. [R+]
- Green Pin > Right channel return [R-]
- Blue Pin > Left channel return [L-]
- White Pin > Left channel positive [L+]
Pick Your Favourite: Best Cartridge Alignment Protractors
What Are Phono Cartridges?
A phono cartridge that includes a needle (stylus) and is mounted at the end of the turntable; if we talk about the working of a phono cartridge, then we come to know that when the phono cartridge puts on the groove of the record, it reads the modulations and transmit it as a form of information (VIA Electric current) and this information sent by phone cartridge then amplified through turntable setup and then from your speakers you hear beautiful songs and enjoy them.
Explore More: How to Clean Your Turntable’s Stylus
How To Disconnect A Wire From The Phono Cartridge
When it comes time to disconnect a wire from a cartridge, there are a few different ways to go about it, and one common way is to use a Screwdriver to unscrew the screws that hold the phono cartridge in place once the screws are removed, you can then remove the cartridge.
Another way is to twist the wire around the cartridge until it comes loose, and be sure to use caution not to damage the wire or cartridge while doing this.
Tips For Connecting And Disconnecting Wires From The Phono Cartridge
If you have a cartridge that uses screws to hold the wires in place, you’ll need to unscrew the screws and disconnect the wires. If you have a cartridge that uses clips, you’ll just need to clip the wires out of the way.
What Are The Benefits Of Wiring A Cartridge To A Headshell?
When you wire a cartridge to a headshell, you gain several benefits.
- In the first place, it provides better sound quality because the connections between the cartridge and headshell are specially designed to provide the best audio transmission.
- Second, it makes the installation process much easier. You no longer have to worry about connecting cartridge wires manually with headshell; the cartridge and headshell manufacturers have done that for you.
- Last but not least, wiring the cartridge to the headshell will improve the tone and sound quality.
How To Install/remove The Stylus Guard From The Phono Cartridge?
The stylus guard of the cartridge prevents damage and accidents beware when your turntable is not in use. So, TeamJejupro will show you the installation and removal of the stylus guard of the cartridge.
- You just have to slide the stylus guard ON/Off without touching the needle.
- Some cartridge stylus guards have clips that you hold down at the back, and these types of a cartridge are like Ortofon 2m Red.
In A Nutshell - How To Mount Phono Cartridge
Now that you’ve followed our steps for installing and wiring a phono cartridge, the record player cartridge is mounted, and you are ready to enjoy your vinyl records whenever you like.
Explore More Related